I, like every other patriotic, red-blooded American, went to see Transformers over the 4th of July holiday. The movie was awesome but I walked away from it feeling a little bit scheistered. No, it wasn’t because Soundwave didn’t make an appearance…it was all of the not-so-subtle product placement I was bombarded with throughout the movie.
I knew this was going to be a 2 1/2 hour GM commercial but I wasn’t expecting all the other blatant product plugs throughout the movie. Here are the ones I caught…
- Captain Lennox used an HP video conferencing unit
- Sam’s dad takes him to the Porsche dealership
- Sam mentions eBay and MySpace
- Mikaela was seen eating at Burger King
- The little girl by the pool was holding a “My Little Pony” (Hasbro)
- Glen’s cousin was playing DDR
- There was a Nokia phone that was “transformed” by the All Spark
- There was a Mt. Dew vending machine that was “transformed”
- There was an XBOX 360 that was “transformed”
- Gratuitous close-up of a Panasonic memory card
- Nice plug for Ding-Dongs from the P.O.T.U.S.
- The boombox Decepticon was GPX brand
Holy sell-out Michael Bay! I guess that’s the only way you can make such a rad movie with only $150 million in the budget…
Now if you’ll excuse me I’m off to BK for a Whopper right after I check my eBay auctions.